Across the U.S., it’s easier than ever to access a vehicle when and where you need it with peer-to-peer car rental services. However, each service has its own set of benefits and drawbacks. In this guide, we’ll take a look at three of the most popular peer-to-peer car rental services – Getaround, Turo, and HyreCar – to help you make a more informed decision about which to use.
With hourly and daily car rentals available, Getaround is a convenient option for people who need to locate and rent a vehicle. Currently, Getaround is only available in select cities including Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Philadelphia, Portland, San Francisco, and Washington D.C. For the average renter, Getaround provides an easy experience.
Here are some of the basic things you need to know about Getaround:
- Rentals are offered daily or hourly.
- You use the Getaround app to locate and unlock the vehicle.
- There are no membership fees.
- Insurance fees are included in the rental costs.
To be eligible to rent a car with Getaround, renters must:
- Be 19 years of age or older. (For specialty cars like Tesla, you’ll need to be 25 or older.)
- Have no major violations in the last seven years, including alcohol- and drug-related incidences or reckless driving charges.
- Have no more than two driving violations or accidents in the past three years.
- If 21 or younger, have a completely clean driving record.
Individuals can browse a list of rentals using the Getaround app and filter them based on criteria. Once you’ve chosen a vehicle, you send a request to book the car. After the owner has approved your request, you can proceed to the pickup location and soon be on your way.
Fees & Costs
Most Getaround vehicles are priced by the hour and are available to renters for anywhere from one hour to several days or weeks. These rentals typically cost around $5-8 per hour with a 3 percent booking fee of the trip price. You must also pay for fuel and return the car with the same amount of fuel that it had when you picked it up.
Additional fees for renting with Getaround include:
- One-Time License Fee: A one-time license fee of $10 is required for a DMV check.
- First-Time Security Deposit: $150 deposit, which is held until the end of your first trip.
- Mileage Fee: A maximum of 200 miles/day is included with your rental price, with $.50 charged for every mile over this allotted mileage.
- Cancellation Fee: There is no fee if you cancel less than one hour after booking or more than 24 hours before your trip begins. Otherwise, the cancellation fee is 50 percent of the trip price.
- Late Return Fee: $50 per hour
- Fuel Replacement Fee: Cost of fuel + $15 fuel fee
- Tolls or Tickets: Cost of toll + $1.50 toll fee; Cost of citation + $25 citation fee
Drivers under the age of 25 are also required to pay fees to account for increased insurance costs. These fees vary based on age and can be anywhere from 75 percent to 5 percent of the trip price.
There are two unique features that set Getaround apart from other peer-to-peer car rental services: hourly car rentals and the ability to access vehicles through the app. While most services require the renter to pay a daily rate, Getaround allows renters to use the vehicle on an hourly basis, making it ideal for those who only need to rent a car for a short period of time.
Getaround also allows renters to access the vehicles they are renting using the Getaround app. Most other services require renters to meet the car owner and pick up the keys, which can be inconvenient if both parties can’t find an agreeable time and place. With Getaround, getting access to the vehicle is quick and simple with no need to coordinate schedules.
Turo’s motto is “way better than a rental car,” as the company aims to change the experience of renting a vehicle around the world. Available in most U.S. cities as well as Canada, the United Kingdom, and Germany, Turo allows renters to choose from over 800 unique vehicles and pick up the car or get it delivered for up to 35 percent less than traditional car rental agencies.
Here is what you need to know about renting a vehicle from Turo:
- You must be at least 21 years of age to rent a car.
- All renters must have a current and valid driver’s license.
- All renters must have a clean driving record and criminal history.
- If under the age of 25, renters must be able to prove they have at least two years of driving experience.
Renting a car with Turo is easy. After you sign up for the app, Turo confirms your identity and eligibility so that you can start searching for available vehicles. Once you find the car you want, book it and the owner will confirm or decline your trip within eight hours. There are also some cars available through a “book instantly” option. After your rental has been approved, you will meet with the car owner to pick up the vehicle.
Fees & Costs
Here are the fees and costs associated with renting a vehicle through Turo:
- Booking Fee: this is up to 25 percent of the trip price
- Additional Mileage Fee: Owner sets this fee up-front. It can vary from $.01 to $3 per additional mile up to $1,000.
- Late Return Fee: $50 per hour up to $200, plus a $25 administration fee
- Fuel Replacement Fee: Cost of Fuel + $25 admin fee
- Tolls and Tickets: Cost of Toll + $10 admin fee; Cost of ticket + $25 admin fee
In some cases, a security deposit is also required. This will be based on the type of car rental and vary depending on the vehicle you want to rent. If the driver is under 25 years of age, they will also be charged 30 percent of the trip price or up to $25 per day, whichever is greater.
Turo’s most unique feature is that it offers a delivery option for your vehicle. This is ideal for those who prioritize convenience. With this delivery option, the owner may offer airport delivery or city delivery to a location agreed upon by the owner and renter, such as the renter’s hotel.
Given that Turo is available nationally, it also has more car owners. This means that renters often have more options in vehicles for rent. They are also able to use the service in many different places, while other services are limited to select cities.
HyreCar is a peer-to-peer vehicle rental service designed specifically for Uber, Lyft, and other on-demand delivery drivers. With no contracts, sign-up fees, or waiting, HyreCar is an excellent option for rideshare drivers that don’t want to use their personal vehicle or those who don’t have a vehicle but want to make some extra cash as a driver for Uber or Lyft.
Renters who want to access a vehicle for rideshare services through HyreCar must:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Have a valid U.S. driver license and social security number with at least one year of driving experience.
- Have a good motor vehicle record with no recent accidents, no major violations in the last three years, and no more than two recent moving violations.
- Have a clean criminal record including no felonies, no violent crimes, no major theft, and no major substance abuse.
After you register with HyreCar, you must complete a background check before browsing and applying for cars in your area. Once you are approved for a rental, you will receive insurance in your name, registration in the car owner’s name, and an inspection form. Drivers will contact the car owner to arrange pick up.
Fees & Costs
There is no set price for HyreCar rental vehicles. However, prices typically range from $25-$40 per day. Drivers benefit from discounts on longer rentals, which typically go for about $200 per week. All rentals include insurance, which costs $10 per day. If you don’t use a credit card to rent the vehicle, then a $200 security deposit will be held on your debit card.
Unlike other peer-to-peer car rental services, HyreCar was designed with rideshare drivers in mind. One of the greatest benefits of HyreCar is the fixed costs. The company builds wear-and-tear costs into the rental price. This makes adding up total costs much easier for rideshare drivers than if they used their own vehicles.
HyreCar is also a very flexible service; you only pay for a vehicle when you need it. While other leasing programs through Uber and Lyft require minimum weekly payments, you can easily rent a vehicle on HyreCar for the day and return it if you don’t like driving it or need to take a break from rideshare services.
Getaround vs. Turo vs. HyreCare: The Verdict
In the end, the best peer-to-peer rental car service will depend on your unique needs and priorities. To make it simple, we’ve put together a quick breakdown of which service may be best for which type of customer:
When to Use Getaround
When it comes to convenience and ease of use, Getaround can’t be beaten. Though finding a vehicle is similar across platforms, Getaround renters access the vehicle using Getaround Connect technology, which allows both car owners and renters to lock and unlock vehicles from their smartphones, eliminating the need to meet up. Getaround is also the only service out of the three that allows you to rent a car at just 19-years-old, making it the best option for younger renters.
When to Use Turo
Turo wins when it comes to availability as this service can be found across the U.S., Canada, Germany, and UK. Turo has more owners participating, giving renters access to more types of vehicles. This makes Turo the ideal rental service for individuals who care about riding in style. If you want your car delivered to you at the airport or your hotel, Turo is the way to go.
When to Use HyreCar
HyreCar is hands-down the best option if you are looking to rent a car for rideshare services. With no long-term contracts or sign-up fees, HyreCar is a flexible rental service for those who make an income as a rideshare or delivery driver. The fees are affordable and getting a vehicle is quick and easy. Most of the vehicles have already been inspected by Uber or Lyft before being rented on the site, so rideshare drivers won’t need to take this extra step before getting the car on the road and making money.
No matter which peer-to-peer car rental service you end up choosing, you’ll benefit from the convenience of getting the type of vehicle you need quickly and affordably. Use this guide to decide which service is right for you, and have fun on your travels!