Sign Up with Handy and Put Your Skills to Work
Looking for a way to make money working with your hands, and fast? Check out Handy.
They’ve got a portal to a wide range of in-demand services for cleaners and handymen. Professionals, licensed electricians, plumbers, and lawn care technicians can employ the system to get jobs from sprucing up a house to fixing a leaky pipe. Here’s a quick glance at how you can get started with Handy.
Signing Up With Handy
The application process is straightforward and can be done on a phone or tablet. Here’s what it looks like every step of the way:
1. Start by putting in your basic information – name, email address, ZIP code, and the basic position you want to apply for.
2. Next, enter your phone number and address.
3. Further down, you’ll see questions about your work experience. Identify your skills, work experience, training, and supplies.
4. Finally, confirm that you can legally work in the United States, how you heard about Handy, and how you will be commuting to your job.
From there, you will need to pass a background check. Once that’s approved, congratulations — you’re officially part of the Handy team! If it all seems overwhelming at first, don’t worry. New pros are offered an online orientation to show them the ropes.
The Handy Pro App
You can download the Handy Pro App on both Android and iOS devices. Here’s a breakdown of how to successfully install the app onto your device:
- In your browser, type in handy.com/p to find the right app for your device. If you’re using an iPhone and get a message prompt reading “Untrusted Enterprise Developer,” go to Settings/General/Profiles & Device Management and select the Handybook option. Set it to “trust,” and you’ll be good to go. If using Android, if a popup asks “Do You Want to Keep the Handy Pro?” just hit “OK.” From there, you will be prompted through installation steps. If your Android prompts you with “Install Blocked,” go to Settings/Security and check the box next to “Unknown Sources.”
- Once the app has been successfully installed, be sure to allow for “Push Notifications” once prompted. This will ensure you get important updates on Handy and jobs in your area.
- Next, enter your phone number into the system. Be sure the phone number you enter is the same one as the device where you’ve entered your application. You’ll then be prompted to request a PIN code, which Handy will send via text. Use that code to log into the Handy Pro App.
- Once the app is up and running, you’ll see the status of your application. As soon as that process is completed, the status page will become a “Welcome” page. There will be beginner tips available here, and you will be prompted to enter your banking information. Now you’re all set to start claiming jobs!
On the Handy Pro App end, here’s what how you can go about claiming jobs:
- On the app, click on the button on the bottom left corner that says “Claim.”
- On the Claim Page, you’ll see different days of the week at the top. Tap each day to see what bookings are available in your area. Not finding one on the day or time you’re interested in? Check back later, as jobs are being constantly updated.
- Each booking will show you: a) the name of the neighborhood the job is in; b) the time and duration of the job; c) whether or not the job is a one-time gig or if it repeats. Pros are welcome to claim as many jobs as they can complete in a given day!
- Once you tap on the job, a detailed map will come up. This is the page where you will be prompted to claim the job. Keep in mind: the earliest jobs start at 7:00 a.m., while the latest jobs end at 11:00 p.m.
Once the process is complete, you can work as much or as little as you want, make up your own schedule, and agree to pay rates that you find acceptable. Scheduling jobs is simple on the app, and there’s a great guide on Handy’s platform to help you along as well.
Also on the app, the Instant Book function allows clients to directly communicate with you so you can get on the same page when booking a job. Handy makes it easy to set this function up in the Instant Book section of their ProHelp guide.
Time to Work
Now that you are set up on the system and eligible to accept work, it’s time to gear up and be ready to work. First things first: you have to bring your own equipment and supplies to the job. That means tools, cleaning products, vacuum cleaners, etc. Check out Handy’s checklist for professionals on the Handy app for more information.
Additionally, you will need to budget some time up front for a walk-through prior to getting started, as well as a few minutes for the post-process review with the client (assuming the client is present).
Being ready for all possibilities is what makes the Handy experience pleasant and satisfying for all involved. That’s why Handy will take care of processing all payments(and any possible tips). This means there is no awkward face-to-face billing or collecting from clients.
Building on Your Handy Experience
Using the Handy platform doesn’t end after a job is over. Ensuring a steady flow of offers means working the system on a regular basis, which can lead to greater earning opportunities.
One of the most important features on the app is the rating system. Clients generate ratings based on how things went with the job. The higher you are rated, the more likely you are to get more work and be paid higher rates. Handy also offers tips on how to make positive impressions on clients, which can lead to higher ratings.
By being mindful of the elements that reinforce the experience, you can build your own network of favorite clients based not only on your score on the app, but also by word-of-mouth. As you build your reputation on the platform, income expectations can go up as well.
Never Stop Learning
Handy’s platform offers a great way for household professionals to create or expand a business where you are the boss, controlling your own schedules and workflows. The system itself is easy to use, intuitive and provides a lot of flexibility.
Additionally, Handy’s mobile app is chock full of informative articles to help you reach the level of success you seek. Dozens of topics are covered in articles, informative blogs, and checklists. Just about any question you may have is addressed. There’s also an email help desk available, with urgent matters often receiving attention within minutes.
Handy is not only a full-service job platform application that you can use to the best of your advantage, it also acts as a partner, taking care of a lot of the business for you. If you think Handy could be for you, sign up today!